Posted on 2020-10-21
By: Emply Scripps, Marketing Intern Fall 2020
What is it?
Search Engine Optimization is a set of rules for optimizing your website so that it can achieve higher rankings in search engines’ organic results. Think, when you google “bakeries”, this would determine which results pop up first in the list of results that are beneath the ones that are produced from paid advertisements.
Why is it important?
In today’s competitive market, SEO marketing is more important than ever. Search engines serve millions of users per day looking for answers to their questions or for solutions to their problems. In fact, the majority of search engine users (more than 65%) are more likely to click on one of the top 5 suggestions in the search engine results pages (SERPS).
5 ways you can boost your SEO
1. Remove anything that is slowing down your website
Page speed is vital, both to users and to search engines. According to eConsultancy, “40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load.”
2. Provide links to other websites with relevant content
To most people, they think that linking out to relevant content pages is bad because it takes people off your page. When in actuality linking out sends trackable traffic, it makes your site a more valuable and scalable resource.
3. Write unique and relevant meta descriptions for each page
The meta description is the first section that people see when Google serves up your page to search users. Some good tips for a great meta description are:
● Use action-oriented language (Learn, Discover, Grab)
● Keep it under 155 characters
● Make it specific and relevant
4. Use Readable and meaningful URLS
If users can’t read or understand your URL, then search engines may be confused as well.
5. Keywords keywords keywords!! Keywords are ideas and topics that define what your content is about. In terms of SEO, they're the words and phrases that searchers enter into search engines, also called "search queries." As a website owner and content creator, you want the keywords on your page to be relevant to what people are searching for so they have a better chance of finding your content among the results.
For more information please visit the links below.